With more than 20 years of experience advising on high-profile matters involving confidential data and other sensitive information, Tanya Forsheit is widely considered one of the top privacy and data security lawyers in the country.
Tanya’s practice focuses on the protection, processing and monetization of data, including matters related to interest-based advertising, privacy policies, mobile apps, cloud computing, smart devices, and data analytics. Clients routinely call upon Tanya to help respond to time-sensitive security events and she has advised on hundreds of such incidents.
Additionally, Tanya continuously evaluates and interprets evolving laws, rules, regulations and guidance to assist clients in maintaining compliance with the rapidly changing privacy and data security legal landscape. She has worked with over a hundred clients on the compliance requirements of the California Consumer Privacy Act, as well as dozens of multinational clients on the compliance requirements of the EU General Data Protection Regulation. She is currently representing dozens more in preparing for, and addressing the policy implications of, the California Privacy Rights Act, taking effect in January 2023.
On the technology side of her practice, Tanya has advised on hundreds of information technology deals and transactions on behalf of both service providers and enterprise purchasers, including multi-layered AdTech and cloud computing agreements.
A thought leader in her field, Tanya lectures widely on technology law topics and has been quoted on privacy and data security in publications such as the Wall Street Journal, Los Angeles Times, Forbes, ComputerWorld, Venture Beat, and Law360.
The International Association of Privacy Professionals (IAPP) has certified Tanya as both an Information Privacy Professional (CIPP/US) and Privacy Technologist (CIPT). She is also a past President of the Women Lawyers Association of Los Angeles.
Select examples of Tanya’s prior firm experience include:
- Counseled hundreds of clients on implementation of programs, policies and procedures, and amendment of contracts, for purposes of complying with applicable laws and best practices, including but not limited the California Consumer Privacy Act (CCPA), the California Privacy Rights Act (CPRA), the European General Data Protection Regulation (GDPR), the newly passed Virginia Consumer Data Protection Act and Colorado Privacy Act, as well as federal laws like the Telephone Consumer Protection Act, the CAN-SPAM Act, the Children’s Online Privacy Protection Act (COPPA), the Gramm-Leach-Bliley Act (GLBA), and the Health Insurance Portability and Accountability Act (HIPAA).
- Represented clients across industry sectors in connection with more than 100 data security breaches involving consumer data, employee information and other sensitive information.
- Drafted and updated hundreds of privacy policies for websites, mobile apps and smart devices, including wearable technology.
- Assisted dozens of organizations in navigating and meeting the changing requirements for cross-border transfer of personal data from the EU to the US.
- Represented clients in litigating and/or resolving disputes under the Telephone Consumer Protection Act, including successfully defeating class certification in December 2015 on behalf of a healthcare technology company in a privacy class action in which plaintiffs sought recovery of more than $40 million for alleged unlawful transmission of faxes relating to HIPAA compliance.
- University of Pennsylvania Law School, J.D.
- Duke University, A.B., cum laude
- Named in Chambers USA, America's Leading Lawyers for Business, in Nationwide Privacy & Data Security (2021) and Chambers Global in Privacy & Data Security (2021)
- Named in The Legal 500 US in Cyber Law (including Data Privacy and Data Protection), published by Legalease Limited and John Pritchard (2021)
- Named a Thought Leader by Who’s Who Legal in the areas of Data – Data Privacy & Protection and Data - Information Technology (2021), and a Global Leader in the areas of Data – Data Privacy & Protection, Data - Information Technology, and Data – Data Security (2021)
- Named a “Southern California Super Lawyer” in Technology Transactions (2017-2022)
- Named among the Los Angeles Business Journal’s Women of Influence: Attorneys (2021)
- Named one of Los Angeles’ Leading Professionals by the Los Angeles Business Journal (2020)
- Named among the Los Angeles Daily Journal’s "Top Women Lawyers" (2009 and 2015)
- Named a Top 20 Cyber Attorney in California by the Daily Journal (2018, 2020)
- One of three finalists for the Los Angeles Business Journal’s Cybersecurity Lawyer of the Year (2017)
- Former President, Women Lawyers Association of Los Angeles