In today's regulatory and business environment, accounting and law firms require legal counsel with the patience, knowledge and sophistication that our Professional Services Litigation Group has built over the past 50 years.
We have a talented and experienced team of attorneys who have represented professional service firms in virtually every kind of dispute and investigation including:
- Class action securities litigation
- Derivative actions
- Accounting and tax malpractice
- Legal malpractice
- Bankruptcy proceedings
- SEC investigations and enforcement proceedings
- Grand jury investigations
- Employment matters
We have been involved in defending hundreds of professional liability claims. We understand the business issues, foresee problems and provide solutions. We have seen nearly every scenario. From the negotiation table to the courtroom, we are strong advocates for our professional service clients.
- Judgment at trial for an accounting firm alleged to have committed malpractice as business manager and tax preparer. The client was also awarded all unpaid professional fees.
- Defending a national accounting firm in a claim by a former client alleging that it was given incorrect advice on the methodology used for pricing its stock options.
- Successfully defended a national accounting firm in a suit brought by an investor who had retained the accounting firm to conduct due diligence in connection with a significant investment. Loeb succeeded in enforcing a limitations-on-damages provision in the client's engagement letter which limited damages to the fees paid to the accounting firm.
- Represented an accounting firm in the largest securities fraud case in the history of the Oregon courts. Loeb represented the accounting firm in actions filed by the receiver for a defunct investment advisory company as well as lawsuits by investors (who were largely union retirement plans).
- Obtained dismissal of all claims against accounting firm and its European subsidiary in a suit brought by investors involving overseas operations.
- Successfully obtained terminating sanction against a former client of accounting firm who alleged that a tax preparer had stolen funds. Decision was affirmed on appeal.
Clients and Industries
We have represented over 30 national and regional law firms and dozens of accounting firms including several of the "Big 4" accounting firms.
Leadership in Law
We are actively involved in the legal and accounting industries. Members of our group lecture on professional liability issues and sit on the Board of Directors of Attorneys Insurance Mutual, a legal malpractice insurer.
The Chair of our Professional Services Litigation Group, Robert Meyer, regularly lectures on professional liability issues, including speaking on such topics as Recent Developments of Interest to the Business Lawyer; Lawyers as Defendants; and Recent Developments in Attorney Malpractice. Organizations which call upon his vast experience in this area include the California Trial Lawyers Association, Los Angeles County Bar Association, Association of Business Trial Lawyers and the UCLA Entertainment Law Symposium (Legal Ethics and Conflicts).