321 North Clark Street
Nerissa Coyle McGinn’s practice focuses on matters involving the convergence of advertising and promotions, emerging media, technology, and privacy law as well as intellectual property law, focusing on trademark clearance and counseling.
She works with many of the best-known brands in the country, helping her clients to develop new brand assets and assisting them in the protection and exploitation of their intellectual property in advertising and marketing. Ms. McGinn advises clients in all forms of advertising and promotions initiatives, including sweepstakes review, copy review, and promotion design and fulfillment, with a particular emphasis on internet and interactive advertising and promotions. She also specializes in legal services for clients producing content for mobile devices, handling a variety of intellectual property matters in connection with video game applications. In addition, Ms. McGinn assists clients on the privacy implications of new communication strategies, mobile applications, location targeting, and information sharing.
Ms. McGinn’s diverse roster of clients includes Turner Broadcasting and its programming properties, Wm. Wrigley Jr. Company and its confection brands, professional sports teams such as the New York Giants and the Washington Redskins, and other major advertisers and advertising agencies.
As a member of the International Trademark Association (INTA), Ms. McGinn has been active in helping to launch INTA’s law student ambassador program and a related scholarship for trademark lawyers to attend the annual meeting. At Loeb & Loeb, she serves as a contributing author to the Advanced Media and Technology Law Blog and is also an active member of the firm’s Diversity Committee, heading the Affinity Group which promotes attorneys of color within the firm.
Representation of Turner Broadcasting Cartoon Network, CNN, truTV, TBS and Turner Sports in connection with trademark clearances for the media company's new shows, web properties, interstitials and sweepstakes.
Representation of the Los Angeles based advertising agency Pitch in IP and advertising matters related to the agency's representations of companies such as Burger King Corporation, Asics America, and Nickelodeon.
Representation of Silver Chalice Ventures, which co-owns and operates new media based properties such as the ACC Digital Network and Total College Sports, in IP matters related to the agency's television-style video properties distributed to all connected devices such as smart phones, tablets and advanced television platforms.
- Speaker, PLI Advertising Law Institute 2013 (September 23-24, 2013)
- Speaker, Complying with New Children's Online Privacy Regulations (June 3, 2013)
- Moderator, Sports Lawyers Association 2013 Annual Conference (May 16-18, 2013)
- Speaker, INTA 2013 Annual Meeting (May 4-8, 2013)
- Speaker, M.A.T.CH - Privacy Best Practices for Mobile App Marketing (March 20, 2013)
- Speaker, Association of Corporate Counsel Southern California Chapter Sports and Entertainment Conference (February 13, 2013)
- Speaker, Outsourcing in Financial Services (January 23, 2013)
- Speaker, Representing the Games Industry Client 2012 (October 17, 2012)
Co-Chair of the Student Member Project Team, International Trademark Association
Member, Promotions Marketing Association
Member, Chicago Bar Association
Member, Asian-American Bar Association
- Recommended “Top Lawyers in Illinois” in Intellectual Property Law, Advertising & Media Law, Arts, Entertainment & Sports Law, and Copyright & Trademark Law, Leading Lawyers Network, a division of Law Bulletin Publishing Company (2011-2014)
- Named in The Legal 500 US in Technology: Data Protection and Privacy, published by Legalease Limited and John Pritchard (2013 edition)
- Named an “IP Star” by Managing Intellectual Property magazine (2013); Listed in "IP Stars-Top 250 Women in IP" (2013)
- Adjunct Professor, Intellectual Property Legal Writing; U.S. Advertising Law, John Marshall Law School
- Former Instructor, Undergraduate Trial Advocacy, University of Illinois
Harvard Law School, J.D., 1997, cum laude
University of Illinois at Urbana-Champaign, B.A., 1994, magna cum laude, Phi Beta Kappa
U.S. District Court for the Northern District of Illinois, Trial Bar
U.S. District Court for the Central District of Illinois
U.S. Court of Appeals, Seventh Circuit
U.S. Supreme Court