345 Park Avenue
New York, NY
Suite 4301, Tower C,
Beijing Yintai Center
2 Jianguomenwai Dajie,
100022, PR China
+86 10 5954 3600
+86 10 5954 3501
Chair, Capital Markets and Asia
Mitch Nussbaum focuses on corporate and securities law, with particular emphasis on representation of U.S. and foreign public corporations, investment and commercial banks, and private emerging growth companies in public and private financings (equity and debt), and federal securities law compliance. He has extensive experience with technology and other companies in the U.S., as well as a broad range of companies in emerging markets, including Brazil, China, India, Israel, Russia, Taiwan and Thailand.
Mr. Nussbaum provides general corporate, securities, and business counseling to corporate clients and their officers and directors. He advises clients with respect to initial public offerings, follow-on public offerings, going private transactions, PIPE transactions and venture capital financings. He also negotiates and documents acquisitions, mergers, reverse mergers, proxy contests, tender offers, and control contests and has represented issuers and underwriters in more than 60 SPAC public offerings and business combinations. Most recently, Mr. Nussbaum was responsible for developing a groundbreaking new financing structure called the IPACSM, which debuted this year featuring many of the benefits of the SPAC, but offering increased flexibility on pricing and deal structure, and allowing for a more rapid transaction cycle.
Widely recognized as one of the pioneers of securities transactions for Chinese companies, Mr. Nussbaum has represented many of the first Chinese and Asian companies to list in the U.S. capital markets, including the first Chinese, Taiwanese and Thai companies to list on the American Stock Exchange. Throughout his practice, Mr. Nussbaum has represented more than 75 Asian companies that have listed on U.S. exchanges.
Mr. Nussbaum also advises clients in connection with initial public offerings in Hong Kong, including dual listings. Additionally, his broad expertise counseling Asian companies includes helping these clients prepare for and respond to investigations and litigation resulting from short-selling attacks, as well as representing companies, special committees or independent directors involved in going private transactions.
Among his many distinctions, Mr. Nussbaum was ranked as the #1 IPO lawyer for companies headquartered in China by Thomson Reuters, based on deals closed between 2008 – 2010. According to IPO Vital Signs Leadership Rankings, he was ranked the #2 IPO lawyer in the U.S. for the number of closed deals representing underwriters in 2010. He was also named among the top attorneys in the areas of Corporate and M&A law by Chambers USA in the 2011 Guide to America’s Leading Lawyer for Business.
Mr. Nussbaum divides his time between New York and Beijing.
- Speaker, DealFlow Media: SPACs Conference (May 13, 2013)
- Speaker, ROTH 25th Annual Conference (March 17-20, 2013)
- Speaker, DealFlow Media's Alternative Finance Conference Israel (March 4-5, 2013)
- Speaker, Creative Funding, Investment & Financial Strategies in Today's Economy (October 16, 2012)
- Speaker, Marcum MicroCap Conference (June 20, 2012)
- Speaker, DealFlow Media: The SPAC Conference 2012 (June 4, 2012)
- Speaker, China Entrepreneurs 2012 Wall Street China Forum (May 15, 2012)
- Speaker, China: Legal, Tax & Accounting Update (March 19-20, 2012)
- Named in "Chambers USA, America's Leading Lawyers for Business," in New York Corporate/M&A (2011 and 2012 editions)
- Ranked Number One IPO Lawyer for companies headquartered in China by Thomson Reuters (2008-2010)
- Ranked Number Two IPO Underwriter's Lawyer by IPO Vital Signs Leadership Rankings (2010)
- Named "New York Super Lawyer" in Securities & Corporate Finance by Thomson Reuters (2006-2012)
- Named in The Legal 500 US in Mergers & Acquisitions, published by Legalease Limited and John Pritchard (2010 edition)
- Ranked Number Two IPO Issuer's and Underwriter's Lawyer by IPO Vital Signs Leadership Rankings (2008)
- Ranked Number Five IPO Issuer's Lawyer by IPO Vital Signs Leadership Rankings (2007)
- Named in "40 Under 40 -- Making Their Mark" by IDD Magazine (December 2007)
- Ranked Number One IPO Issuer's Lawyer by IPO Vital Signs Leadership Rankings (2006)
Syracuse University College of Law, J.D.,
Member, Syracuse University Law Review
University of Rochester, B.A.