10100 Santa Monica Boulevard
Los Angeles, CA
Melanie Howard's practice focuses on intellectual property law, including litigation, counseling and transactional matters in the areas of advertising, technology, new media and entertainment. She specializes in helping advertisers, entertainment companies and individual talent clients protect and exploit their branding, marketing and other intellectual property assets. Ms. Howard has extensive experience in licenses and assignments of IP rights, policing against counterfeits of brands and personalities, copyright and trademark infringement cases, and trade secret misappropriation cases. She also handles entertainment contractual disputes, false advertising and rights of publicity matters, along with a wide array of internet-related intellectual property disputes, including Uniform Domain-Name Dispute-Resolution Policy proceedings.
Ms. Howard manages both domestic and international intellectual property portfolios related to a variety of individuals, products and services. In addition to implementing clearance, use and protection strategies, she regularly handles trademark filing, prosecution, registration and maintenance. She also oversees quality control of clients' licensed marks in advertising and marketing initiatives, including with respect to online and social media promotions.
In addition, Ms. Howard is an Adjunct Professor of Law at Pepperdine University, where she teaches courses in the areas of intellectual property and microfinance.
Representation of the Los Angeles based advertising agency Pitch in IP and advertising matters related to the agency's representation of Burger King Corporation.
Representation of Turner Broadcasting and NASCAR in litigation involving claims of trademark and copyright infringement.
Representation of Ms. Jennifer Lopez in proceeding under the Uniform Domain Name Resolution Policy, which resulted in the transfer of multiple domain names to Ms. Lopez's foundation.
- Co-author, ICANN's Domains Under Attack, Intellectual Property Magazine (December 2012/January 2013)
- Co-author, Suits Signal Lack Of Confidence In ICANN Processes, Law360 (November 15, 2012)
- Speaker, 34th Annual PMA Marketing Law Conference (November 13-14, 2012)
- Co-author, IP: ICANN Extends Objection Period, InsideCounsel (October 30, 2012)
- Co-author, IP: Roadblocks, Detours and Dead Ends on the Top-Level Domain Journey, InsideCounsel (October 16, 2012)
- Speaker, Loeb & Loeb IP/Entertainment Law Conference, Los Angeles, California (October 2, 2012)
- Speaker, IP Due Diligence in M&A Transactions (September 21, 2012)
- Co-author, IP: 3 Tips for Navigating ICANN’s New gTLD Roadmap, InsideCounsel (September 18, 2012)
- Founding Director, Opportunities Without Borders
- Secretary and Board member, Fonkoze USA (2006-Present)
- Member, International Trademark Association (2004-Present)
- Member, Net Impact (2006-Present)
- Member, Social Enterprise Alliance (2006-Present)
- Member, The Hollywood Hill (2008-Present)
- Member, Los Angeles County Bar Association (2001-Present)
- Named Rising Star in Intellectual Property and Intellectual Property Litigation, Southern California Super Lawyers, Los Angeles magazine (2004-2007, 2010-2013)
Harvard Law School, J.D., 2001, Articles Editor, Harvard Negotiation Law Review
Williams College, B.A., 1997, Political Science & German Studies; Dean’s List; cum laude
U.S. District Court for the Northern District of California, 2011
U.S. District Court for the Central District of California, 2002
U.S. Court of Appeals, Federal Circuit, 2002
U.S. Court of Appeals, District of Columbia Circuit, 2001