345 Park Avenue
New York, NY
Co-Chair, Advanced Media and Technology; Chair, Digital Media
Kenneth R. Florin is one of the industry’s leading experts on matters involving the convergence of advertising and promotions, emerging media, technology and privacy law. In addition to a rich background in traditional marketing and communications, he has been a pioneer in counseling clients at the increasingly blurred cross section of issues associated with the use of new technologies, digital media, and emerging content production and distribution models to extend their global reach. Mr. Florin also counsels clients in the media, finance, healthcare, insurance, pharmaceutical and information technology sectors to protect and leverage valuable data assets in the domestic and international marketplace.
Mr. Florin represents Fortune 500 companies, media companies, advertising and promotions agencies, social media platforms, sports leagues and teams, and new media and interactive ventures, advising them on the development of their advertising and promotion strategies, online communities, wireless and social media initiatives, and technology-related products and services. He negotiates deals ranging from traditional agency-client, co-promotion, tie-in, and employment and sponsorship agreements to licensing deals for the digital distribution of content, Internet and e-commerce development agreements, and multi-platform branded entertainment agreements.
Mr. Florin reviews concepts, layouts, and copy for all forms of advertising and promotion initiatives, including sweepstakes and contests, wireless and interactive promotional campaigns, cause-related marketing programs, and auctions. He has extensive experience in the area of international promotions. In addition, Mr. Florin assists his clients in the development of their data collection and privacy policies, targeted advertising matters, in the handling of regulatory and consumer inquiries and complaints, and with trademark and copyright issues.
He also counsels clients on compliance issues and claims substantiation to avoid competitive challenges in connection with their advertising and marketing programs, and represents advertisers in both defending and challenging claims before the Better Business Bureau’s National Advertising Division (NAD) and other regulatory bodies.
Additionally, Mr. Florin has extensive experience in the area of traditional entertainment. He has represented both corporations and artists in the negotiation of music recording, publishing, production and licensing agreements, streaming and download agreements, and television and film production and finance agreements.
Mr. Florin is a frequent public speaker on advertising, marketing, privacy and emerging media issues, and has written several articles for publications such as Advertising Age, PROMO magazine, and Corporate Counsel magazine, among others. He is a member of the Board of the Directors of the Promotion Marketing Association and also serves on the Editorial Board of Loeb & Loeb’s Advanced Media and Technology Law Blog.
- Speaker, 35th Annual BAA Marketing Law Conference (November 18-20, 2013)
- Speaker, NAD/CARU Annual Conferences 2013 (September 30 - October 2, 2013)
- Author, Data Optimization Trends, Inside the Minds: Recent Trends in Privacy and Data Security (April 2013)
- Speaker, Social Media and the SEC’s Latest Ruling: Where Do We Go From Here? (April 24, 2013)
- Speaker, 34th Annual PMA Marketing Law Conference (November 13-14, 2012)
- Moderator, CARU Annual Conference 2012 (October 3, 2012)
- Speaker, ACI Digital Advertising Compliance: Sweepstakes, Promotions & Social Media (September 10-13, 2012)
- Speaker, Going Green: Updates and Best Practices in Green Marketing (January 6, 2012)
Named "Best Lawyer" in Advertising Law (2013-2014) and Sports Law (2012-2014), The Best Lawyers in America, published by Woodward White, Inc.
Named in Chambers USA, America's Leading Lawyers for Business, in National Advertising, (2008 and 2010-2013)
Named as a "Leading Lawyer" in The Legal 500 US 2011-2013 in Marketing and Advertising, published by Legalease Limited and John Pritchard (also recognized in 2010 edition)
- Named in The Legal 500 US in Technology: Data Protection and Privacy, published by Legalease Limited and John Pritchard (2013 edition)
- Named "New York Super Lawyer" in First Amendment/Media/Advertising by Thomson Reuters (2007-2012 editions); named "New York Super Lawyer" in First Amendment/Media/Advertising, Entertainment & Sports and Intellectual Property by Thomson Reuters (2013 edition)
- Named "New Star" by Lawdragon 500 (2006)
Columbia University School of Law, J.D., 1992,
Harlan Fiske Stone Scholar
University of Michigan, B.A., 1988
New York, 1993