345 Park Avenue
New York, NY
10100 Santa Monica Boulevard
Los Angeles, CA
Jonathan Zavin is a commercial litigator and intellectual property attorney with extensive experience in intellectual property matters, and has litigated scores of copyright and trademark cases. He has also advised major film studios, producers, recording companies and publishing companies on transactions in the entertainment and new media industries.
Mr. Zavin’s commercial litigation background has been in areas as diverse as securities litigation (including Rule 10b-5 and RICO claims), litigation arising from the purchase and sale of large companies, employment discrimination litigation, FTC hearings involving the antitrust implications of an acquisition, commercial breach of contract actions and construction disputes.
At the request of the United States government, Mr. Zavin has traveled to Estonia, Latvia, Lithuania, Colombia, Kazakhstan, Greece and South Africa to meet with various government ministries and industry groups regarding the protection of intellectual property rights.
Mr. Zavin has lectured extensively on the subject of copyright law before law and industry organizations, including the Copyright Society of the U.S.A. and the American Bar Association. He is the author of articles addressing intellectual property issues. Mr. Zavin is on the Editorial Board of the Loeb & Loeb IP/Entertainment Case Law Weekly Update for Motion Picture Studios and Television Networks.
- Speaker, Loeb & Loeb IP/Entertainment Law Conference, Los Angeles, California (October 2, 2012)
- Speaker, Loeb & Loeb IP/Entertainment Law Conference, Los Angeles, California (October 5, 2011)
- Speaker, Loeb & Loeb IP/Entertainment Law Conference, Los Angeles, California (October 21, 2009)
- Speaker, Loeb & Loeb IP/Entertainment Law Conference, Los Angeles, California (September 18, 2008)
- Speaker, Injunctive Relief for Copyright Infringement — Not So Fast, Los Angeles Copyright Society, Los Angeles, California (January 9, 2008)
- Speaker, Changing Landscapes: Emerging Technologies and Copyright Law, New York, New York (November 6, 2007)
- Member, Copyright Society of the U.S.A.
- Former Member, Executive Committee, Copyright Society of the U.S.A.
- Former Vice Chair, Board of Visitors and Governors, St. John's College
- Named "New York City Copyright Lawyer of the Year," Best Lawyers (2014)
- Named "Top Entertainment Attorney" in Variety's "Legal Impact Report" (2013)
- Named an “IP Star” by Managing Intellectual Property magazine (2013)
- Named "Best Lawyer" in Copyright Law, The Best Lawyers in America, published by Woodward White, Inc. (2012-2014 editions)
- Named in The Legal 500 US in Copyright, published by Legalease Limited and John Pritchard (2007-2008 and 2012-2013 editions)
- Named "Top Lawyer" in The Hollywood Reporter, ESQ.’s “Power Lawyers Top 100” list (2007-2008, and 2010-2013)
- Named in Chambers USA, America's Leading Lawyers for Business, in New York Media & Entertainment: Copyright & Contract Disputes, (2007-2013 editions)
- Named "New York Super Lawyer" in Intellectual Property Litigation by Thomson Reuters (2006-2012 editions); Named "New York Super Lawyer" in Intellectual Property Litigation and General Litigation (2013 edition)
- Named one of the "Leading Lawyers in America," Lawdragon 3000 Leading Lawyers Guide(2006)
- Highest "AV Preeminent (5 out of 5)" Professional Rating, Martindale-Hubbell Law Directory
Columbia University School of Law, J.D., 1973
St. John's College, B.A., 1968
New York State Courts
U.S. Supreme Court
U.S. Court of Appeals, Second Circuit
U.S. Court of Appeals, Third Circuit
U.S. Court of Appeals, Fourth Circuit