Loeb & Loeb’s Interactive Entertainment Practice Group represents many of the leading companies, investors and individuals in the videogame and interactive entertainment industries. Our representation covers not only the industry’s top videogame publishers, console makers and developers, but also technology, internet, social media, social gaming, entertainment, management companies, talent and investors involved in this space. We assist clients across a wide range of platforms, applications and technologies.
Our work includes deals done for the console, PC, Mac, Mobile (iPhone and Android), Facebook, massively multiplayer, and server/cloud based computing platforms as well as deals for games, content, technologies, and applications across traditional and digital business models and methods of exploitation.
In addition, we have a strong competitive advantage in that Loeb & Loeb’s Interactive Entertainment Practice Group combines deep industry business and legal knowledge with cutting edge capabilities in the entertainment, digital media, corporate, finance, advertising, intellectual property and litigation areas to provide unparalleled expertise and service for clients.
For interactive entertainment industry clients, and also clients that are not in the industry, but are entering or dealing with the industry for the first time or on an ongoing basis, we regularly handle the following types of matters:
- Drafting and negotiating development, publishing, distribution and licensing agreements
- Technology licensing and acquisition agreements
- Content agreements
- Negotiation and evaluation of every type of project financing
- Corporate formation and financing (debt and equity)
- Mergers and acquisitions
- Content acquisition, development and divestiture
- Litigation and dispute resolution
- Patent, copyright, trademark and intellectual property matters
- Employment, trade secret, non-solicitation, and non-competition matters
- Advertising and co-branding
- Privacy and regulatory issues
Our legal expertise and in depth understanding of the interactive entertainment area, along with Loeb & Loeb’s long history and established reputation in the entertainment and media industry, enables us to give practical insight for clients seeking to grow their interactive entertainment business for both the traditional retail platform and the emergent digital platform. In order to provide a complete range of service and specialized knowledge to our clients, our Interactive Entertainment Practice Group practices a multidisciplinary approach, drawing upon the expertise of colleagues and professionals from multiple departments, including Entertainment, Advanced Media and Technology, Intellectual Property, and Business Litigation. These internal resources, along with our long-standing, high level relationships in the entertainment industry, allow us to offer an unparalleled depth and breadth of expertise and experience.
Our representative Interactive Entertainment experience includes:
- Represented a next generation cloud computing massively multiplayer online game company in connection with its joint venture with the Sci-Fi Channel.
- Represented an independent wireless game publisher in negotiating a license with Microsoft for a franchise property for wireless games.
- Drafted and negotiated numerous development agreements for next-gen console platforms and internet games for licensed and original properties.
- Provided lead counsel for a publicly traded videogame publisher in connection with the asset purchase of a major franchise/business unit from another publicly traded videogame publisher.
- Ran US trademark clearance, registration, and prosecution programs for three publicly traded interactive entertainment publishers and also for individuals in the interactive entertainment space.
- Represented a digital interactive entertainment company in connection with its Series B financing round.
- Represented a leading middleware provider of technology to the videogame industry in connection with its Series E financing.
- Represented a leading developer and publisher of cell phone games, in connection with its sale to Vivendi.
- Represented a top five videogame publisher in connection with its multi-million dollar senior secured credit facility with Bank of America, NA.
Clients and Industries
Our national and international client base includes a variety of Fortune 100, middle market, and emerging media and entertainment companies, investors, prominent videogame publishers, developers and console manufacturers, advertising firms, wireless and technology companies, movie studios and producers.
Leadership in Law
As leaders in the field of interactive entertainment law, our attorneys frequently speak at industry events such as the Game Developers Conference (GDC) and Digital Hollywood, as well as at continuing legal education seminars hosted by Practising Law Institute, among others. Many of our lawyers serve as expert sources for the press, and are often looked to for commentary on a variety of interactive entertainment industry issues. Loeb & Loeb has also received national recognition in the area of media and entertainment law from leading law firm directories and industry trade publications. The firm is a recipient of the prestigious Chambers and Partners Award for Excellence in Media.