345 Park Avenue
New York, NY
Ieuan Jolly advises on a wide variety of international privacy, technology and sporting matters, with a particular emphasis on regulatory issues such as multi-media marketing and data security.
Mr. Jolly has received international recognition in the legal directories as a leading commercial lawyer. The Legal 500 recognizes his “international expertise, impressive knowledge and commercial approach”; and he is singled out in Chambers Global, The World’s Leading Lawyers for Business as a “stellar attorney” who provides “practical, deep knowledge on privacy matters and is realistic“.
Mr. Jolly has extensive experience in the privacy arena and provides strategic direction on maximizing value and use from data and information management practices across interactive media platforms. He specializes in advising on the cutting edge privacy implications of new communication strategies, specialized applications, media-specific regulations, location targeting and information sharing. He advises clients on pan-European and U.S. data privacy and security issues as well as information security risks and mitigation strategies in outsourcing jurisdictions such as India. He is a member of the Asia-Pacific Economic Cooperation (APEC) Data Privacy Subgroup – a private sector adviser to United States Delegation. Internationally, Mr. Jolly spearheads a global compliance program for the firm’s clients with operations outside of the U.S., enabling the seamless international data transfer among client’s affiliates and business partners worldwide. He has provided training and advice on global privacy compliance to multi national companies and he performs multi-jurisdictional audits. He provides clients with bespoke “Compliance Kits” covering internal and customer-facing privacy and direct marketing policies, cross-border data privacy compliance protocols including inter-group and third-party transfer agreements, employee surveillance, website terms and conditions, and other information security protocols. He conducts privacy assessments of client’s online and offline information collection, use, and disclosure practices, including analysis of data flows, privacy notices, and vendor contracts.
In the area of data security, Mr. Jolly regularly works with clients on corporate risk management, assessment of data security practices and the development and implementation of effective information security programs. He has a deep understanding of the technology and systems to manage risks and he advises on the development of robust controls to mitigate information security lapses, utilizing incident management and response procedures.
Mr. Jolly combines international privacy expertise with extensive experience in the complimentary areas of technology and communications law, outsourcing and interactive media. He counsels clients on a wide range of complex technology transactions and sourcing arrangements, systems integration, telecommunications procurement, disaster recovery, business continuity and data centre transactions.
In the field of digital media and communications, Mr. Jolly advises clients on the global distribution, licensing and exploitation of content across interactive media platforms. His clients have included broadcasters, mobile operators and Internet service providers. In the e-commerce arena, he advises clients on the establishment of interactive electronic platforms and the licensing of information technology and broadband projects. He advises clients on all aspects of contracting online, supply and distribution agreements, website hosting arrangements and IT procurement.
- Speaker, International Association of Privacy Professionals Global Privacy Summit (March 6-8, 2013)
- Speaker, Sourcing Interest Group Global Sourcing Summit (March 27-29, 2012)
- Speaker, Who Is Watching You? Updates in Online Behavioral Advertising and Privacy (March 12, 2012)
- Author, Keeping Pace With EU Data Privacy Law Overhaul, Law360 (February 22, 2012)
- Moderator, New Mobile Marketing Privacy Guidelines (January 11, 2012)
- Speaker, 33rd Annual PMA Marketing Law Conference: Leveraging The Past Forging The Future (November 14-16, 2011)
- Speaker, Outsourcing in Financial Services (November 1, 2011)
- Speaker, AMEC: The Legal Implications of Emerging Technologies and Outsourcing in the Media and Entertainment Industry: A Reality Check (July 21, 2011)
- Named among Crain's New York Business 40 Under 40 (2013)
- Named in "Chambers USA, America's Leading Lawyers for Business," in National Privacy & Data Security (2010-2012 editions)
- Named in "Chambers Global, The World's Leading Lawyers for Business," in United States of America Privacy & Data Security (2010-2013 editions)
- Named as a "Leading Lawyer" in The Legal 500 US in Technology: Data Protection and Privacy, published by Legalease Limited and John Pritchard (2011 edition)
- Named as a "Leading Lawyer" in The Legal 500 US in Data Protection and Privacy, published by Legalease Limited and John Pritchard (2010 and 2012 editions)
University of Bristol School of Law, LL.B., 1997, With Honors
Nottingham Law School, Legal Practice Course, 1998
New York Supreme Court Licensed Legal Consultant
Supreme Court of England and Wales