321 North Clark Street
Daniel Frohling is a “go-to” legal strategist on matters concerning corporate and brand identities, communication mechanisms and marketing content. Mr. Frohling combines 25 years of counselling, transactional and litigation experience with a passion for creative, comprehensive solutions.
He works with clients to build productive business relationships and forge practical legal solutions that achieve the organization’s on-the-street and online marketing goals within its risk profile.
In accomplishing this, Mr. Frohling works with CMOs and other organizational and business stakeholders, GCs and IP counsel. He facilitates initial and evolving strategic and tactical planning, helps identify and assemble needed talent (whether from within the organization, Loeb & Loeb or other law firms or other providers). Mr. Frohling also advocates for his clients, whether in negotiations, with regulatory agencies or in litigation.
Mr. Frohling’s clients include manufacturers, retailers, content owners, advertising agencies, not-for-profits, online ventures, and individuals. His work is both domestically and internationally focused, and he represents clients on a variety of intellectual property issues, including but not limited to trademark, product design, false advertising, copyright, various e-commerce (including the new gTLDs) and right of publicity.
Leading litigation team in bet-the-company false advertising case against client's bitter competitor.
Orchestrating and commencing education/litigation campaign for client attempting to resurrect protection for a series of alphanumeric trademarks.
Orchestrated successful litigation for computer manufacturer against purveyor of Website design services and a variety of entertainment services.
Obtained desired outcome for defendant in infringement action by employing a genericness counterattack.
Run ongoing successful policing campaigns against counterfeits and infringements of national consumer brands. The campaigns involve sweeps of souvenir and other retail operations, investigations by paralegals and private investigators, and cease and desist demands and/or litigation.
- Speaker, Law Bulletin Seminars Annual Corporate Intellectual Property Law Conference (February 13, 2013)
- Co-author, IP: Protecting Your Brand in the Internet of the Future, InsideCounsel (November 13, 2012)
- Co-author, IP: ICANN Extends Objection Period, InsideCounsel (October 30, 2012)
- Co-author, IP: Roadblocks, Detours and Dead Ends on the Top-Level Domain Journey, InsideCounsel (October 16, 2012)
- Co-author, IP: Wrong Turns and Other Directional Changes on the Road to New gTLDs, InsideCounsel (October 2, 2012)
- Speaker, IP Developments in the US, IP Crammer Seminar, Field Fisher Waterhouse (October 2, 2012)
- Co-author, IP: 3 Tips for Navigating ICANN’s New gTLD Roadmap, InsideCounsel (September 18, 2012)
- Speaker, Industry Outlook: Legal Update on Domain Name Law and Dilemmas, World Research Group Generic Top-Level Domain Names Summit (September 13, 2012)
Member, Chicago Bar Association
Member, American Bar Association
Member (former chair and member, multiple committees), International Trademark Association
Recommended “Top Lawyers in Illinois” in Intellectual Property Law and Advertising & Media Law, Leading Lawyers Network, a division of Law Bulletin Publishing Company (2004-2012)
University of Michigan Law School, J.D., 1985, cum laude
University of Michigan, B.A., 1980