345 Park Avenue
New York, NY
Office Administrative Partner, New York Office
Brian Socolow’s practice includes the representation of clients in a wide range of intellectual property, entertainment, securities and complex commercial disputes in state and federal courts throughout the country. Mr. Socolow also acts as outside general counsel to a variety of businesses.
Mr. Socolow's notable representations have involved clients such as Aon, Burton Snowboards, American Movie Classics Company, Fútbol Club de Barcelona, Fisher Scientific, Shop Vac Corporation, Prudential Securities, Redcats USA, American Family Publishers (part of a Time, Inc. joint venture), Borders, Isle of Capri Casinos and Prince Jefri of Brunei.
Mr. Socolow’s recent experience includes a breach of contract trial for Shop Vac Corporation, which he represented through a highly-successful settlement, recovery of over $1 million in copyright infringement claims on behalf of a publisher prior to litigation, and a securities arbitration that resulted in a directed verdict for his broker-dealer client.
Other recent matters Mr. Socolow has been involved in include the representation of a dredging company in breach of contract and environmental claims, representation of a pharmaceutical company in a contract dispute, representation of a medical products distributor in a fraud and breach of contract arbitration, representation of an entertainment company in a copyright dispute, representation of a resort and hotel company in a trademark dispute, and the defense of a retailer in a price discrimination action. Mr. Socolow also counsels clients in corporate fraud and government investigations, and has represented officers and directors of companies.
Mr. Socolow’s practice encompasses sports law as well. He has represented entities in the sports industry in various contract and intellectual property matters. Mr. Socolow has also given numerous radio interviews on sports law issues and is a frequent contributor to the Sports Law Blog.
- Co-author, Social Media Marketing: Caging the Un-Caged Tweeter (November 2013)
- Speaker, Authenticity is Everything - ASC Action Sports + Culture Conference (July 24, 2013)
- Speaker, Lance Armstrong and Lessons Learned: Protecting a Brand Before, During and After a Crisis (April 9, 2013)
- Speaker, Virginia Sports and Entertainment Law Journal Annual Sports Law Symposium (March 8, 2013)
- Panelist, Legal Perspectives in Emerging Sports, Entertainment, Arts & Sports Law Section of the New York State Bar Association (January 9, 2013)
- Author, Armstrong’s Endorsement Contracts and the "Morals Clause", Sports Litigation Alert, Volume 9, Issue 12 (November 2, 2012)
- Speaker, Sports Lawyers Association 2012 Annual Conference (May 10-12, 2012)
- Co-author, Learning the Rights and Wrongs of Commercial Speech, Advertising Age (April 23, 2012)
- Member, Sports Lawyers Association
- Member, Entertainment, Arts and Sports Law Section, New York State Bar Association
- Member, Board of Advisors, Vermont Law School Sports Law Institute
- Former President, Chappaqua Public Library
- Named "New York Super Lawyer" in Entertainment & Sports by Thomson Reuters (2009-2012 editions); named "New York Super Lawyer" in Entertainment & Sports and Business Litigation (2013 editions)
- Legal Intern, Honorable Lucille Polk Buell, New York State Supreme Court
University of Virginia School of Law, J.D., 1990
Yale University, B.A., 1986, magna cum laude
New York, 1991
U.S. District Court for the Southern District of New York
U.S. District Court for the Eastern District of New York
U.S. District Court for the Northern District of New York
U.S. District Court for the District of Connecticut
U.S. District Court for the Southern District of Florida
New York State Courts