345 Park Avenue
New York, NY
901 New York Avenue NW
Suite 300 East
Michael Jahnke specializes in counseling clients concerning antitrust issues in connection with litigation and proposed M&A transactions, joint ventures and other business conduct, advocates before the FTC and Department of Justice to resolve or limit antitrust issues throughout the government merger review process, and directs clients' compliance with governmental requests. He has worked extensively on antitrust issues in connection with US and international M&A transactions and joint ventures involving financial services, derivatives, energy, foods, tobacco, information services, telecommunications, paper/packaging, automotive and others.
Mr. Jahnke's experience covers the spectrum of antitrust work, including deals (analysis of potential issues, input on draft agreements and diligence, HSR filings, dealing with regulators' requests), advice on other types of business activities (joint ventures, IP licensing, compliance queries and training, exclusive dealing), antitrust litigation and criminal/cartel investigations.
Mr. Jahnke also advises companies concerning recent supervisory and enforcement developments associated with the new Consumer Financial Protection Bureau (CFPB), created by the Dodd-Frank Wall Street Reform and Consumer Protection Act of 2010. He is also involved in the firm’s efforts to promote diversity, as partner head of the Affinity Group for LGBT attorneys within the firm.
Represented Teekay LNG Partners LP and Marubeni Corporation on their $1.4 billion acquisition of AP Moller Maersk's LNG shipping fleet.
Represented General Bearing Corporation on its acquisition by SKF AB.
Represented Central Vermont Public Service Corporation in its $702 million merger with Gaz Metro.
Represented J.P. Morgan Chase, Citigroup, Deutsche Bank, The Royal Bank of Scotland, Bank of America, Credit Suisse, Morgan Stanley and Goldman Sachs, as founding participants in a joint venture to provide FX aggregation services.
Represented Imperial Tobacco PLC in its acquisition of Altadis.
Represented Schaeffler KG in its takeover of Continental AG.
Represented HBOS in its acquisition by Lloyds.
Represented Heineken N.V. in its acquisition of Scottish & Newcastle.
Represented Randstad Holding N.V. in its acquisition of Vedior, N.V.
Represented Corporate Express in its takeover by Staples Inc.
Represented Imperial Tobacco PLC in its acquisition of Commonwealth Brands.
Represented 3i in its sale of ABX Logistics to DSV.
- Author, CFPB Settles Allegations of Improper Payments by Mortgage Insurers (April 2013)
- Co-author, Follow-On Shareholder Suits After CFPB Settlements, Corporate Counsel (March 4, 2013)
- Speaker, Outsourcing in Financial Services (January 23, 2013)
- Co-author, Watch Out for Shareholder Suits Spawned by CFPB Settlements, American Banker (January 17, 2013)
- Author, FTC, DOJ to Heighten Reporting Requirements on Patents, New York Law Journal (January 7, 2013)
- Co-author, CFPB Institutes Supervisory Appeals Process - But Do Other CFPB "Appeals" Decisions Inform the Process or Cast a Shadow?, American Bar Association - What's In Store? (Winter 2013)
- Author, US Antitrust Agencies Propose New Hart-Scott-Rodino Merger Control Rules to Require Enhanced Reporting of Pharma, Biological and Diagnostic Licenses, e‑Competitions Bulletin (October 12, 2012)
- Author, Sweeping HSR Revisions: Top 5 Changes to Know About, Law360 (July 8, 2011)
- Member, Executive Committee, New York State Bar Association, Antitrust Section
- Member, American Bar Association, Section of Antitrust Law
- Member, American Bar Association, International Law Section
- Member, New York City Bar Association, Antitrust and Trade Regulation Committee
- Named in "Chambers USA, America's Leading Lawyers for Business," in New York Antitrust (2009-2012 editions)
Creighton University School of Law, J.D., 1986, magna cum laude
Huron College, B.A., 1982, summa cum laude
U.S. Supreme Court
U.S. Court of Appeals, Federal Circuit
U.S. Court of Appeals, Eighth Circuit
U.S. District Court for the Eastern District of New York
U.S. District Court for the Southern District of New York